CEDEN Logo  
Find Data Submit Data About CEDEN contact us    |   site map    

Providing Data to be Assessed for the 303(d) List

The California State Water Resources Control Board and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (together, the Water Boards) develop the list of impaired water bodies within California, pursuant to section 303(d) of the federal Clean Water Act. The Water Quality Control Policy for Developing California’s Clean Water Act Section 303(d) List (Listing Policy) describes the water quality assessment process and specifies that data and information for this process must be submitted into CEDEN. There is an alternative process outlined in data solicitation notices for data and information not suitable for CEDEN, such as photographs.

Data submitted for assessment must meet the format, vocabulary, and business rule requirements defined in the data submittal templates, and guidance documents, and successfully pass the Template Checker.

A quality assurance project plan (QAPP), or equivalent, as described in section 6.1.4 of the Listing Policy is required to determine the quality of the data and information being used for assessment. QAPPs developed and complied with when collecting and analyzing data submitted to CEDEN should be submitted using the Integrated Report Document Upload Portal. Be sure to reference the CEDEN project code(s) that the QAPP covers. This effectively submits the QAPP to the Water Quality Assessment Unit at the Water Boards. If the QAPP is not received or cannot be associated with submitted data, the data will not be used as part of the assessment process.

If you would like to submit data to be assessed, please see the “Submit Data” page to get started.

Preparing your data to meet CEDEN requirements can be time consuming and the vocabulary request process can take several weeks of processing time, so please plan accordingly.

If you have any questions about CEDEN, please email ceden@waterboards.ca.gov. If you have questions about the 303(d) report or Listing Policy, please see the Impaired Water Bodies page or email WQAssessment@waterboards.ca.gov.


State Water Resources Control Board 1001 I Street Sacramento, CA 95814
© California Environmental Data Exchange Network (CEDEN)